We are currently looking for a Director of Sports! If you are interested, please email Dan Epstein at firstname.lastname@example.org.
PURPOSE: To offer a quality sports program that meets and surpasses SOI training and competition standards for all Special Olympics athletes, coaches and Unified Partners throughout the state of Hawaii.
- Offer ongoing quality sport-specific and Special Olympics training for coaches in all sports offered by Special Olympics Hawaii
- Communicate regularly with coaches to ensure adherence to program specifics
- Facilitate the flow of information from SOI/SONA to our State Office to Area Directors and coaches
- Educate Area Programs, Delegations, and coaches on training guidelines and enforcement of guidelines for participation at statewide events
- Determine the need for Advanced/Experienced Coaches Trainings through surveys and Area meetings
- Reinforce guidelines at Coach Clinics, Area Meetings and in the E-Newsletter
- Offer Unified Sports® training to coaches and local programs.
- Work with UCS Coordinator on planning and implementation of UCS sports leagues, competitions, and outreach
- Offer Special Olympics training and any needed sports training for volunteers at sports events
- Budget and plan all statewide competitions
- Train all logistics and event lead volunteers for statewide competitions
- Train and collaborate with Area Programs to offer quality Area and Regional Tournaments
- Create Sports Management Teams made up of sport experts, coaches and competition officials to evaluate each sport and create/update a sports plan to improve that sport
- Offer Games Management training for local volunteers
- Identify key leadership roles that volunteers can play at Area, Regional and State competitions
- Oversee Sports section of website to include seasonal information for coaches on a sport-by-sport basis and to post Coaches Clinic info, rules, guidelines, competition information and registration guidelines and forms for each sport within each season
- Evaluate all sports elements [training, competition, coaching and participation] annually
SUPERVISED BY: COO and/or President & CEO
Special Olympics Hawaii is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Special Olympics Hawaii makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.